Everyone has their own way of making their Korean Fried Chicken, well so do I. This is a recipe I kind of just made up on my own. Granted, I originally learned to make my own bulgogi sauce but since then I’ve gotten lazy and I just used the premade stuff. With that said, the remainder of the recipe is my own! Okay, another friend of mine helped out as well so it’s not all mine.
I don’t really have portion control here. I just make to taste. I’d advice you start small with the spices and add more to your liking.
- 4lbs of chicken wings
- Korean BBQ Sauce (bulgogi marinade)
- Red Crushed Peppers, add to taste, usually 1/2 tablespoon
- Cayenne Pepper, add to taste, maybe 1 teaspoon
- Chili Powder, add to taste, make sure you have more of this than cayene.. I would say 1 tablespoon
- Sesame Oil, add to taste, usually about 1 teaspoon
- 3 – 4 Cloves of garlic or however how garlicky (is that even a word) you want it
- 1 cup – chopped Green Onions
- 1/2 cup – Brown Sugar
- 1 cup – white flour
- 2 tablespoons – Corn Starch
- 1/2 cup – Garlic Powder
- Peanut Oil or some kinda oil that gets hot
First you’ll want to brine your chicken overnight. I usually put salt and garlic in my brine, I just use garlic salt. As for how much.. well that’s up to you. The more salt you put in the saltier your chicken will be.
Let’s make the breading first, it’s the easiest. Take the cornstarch and garlic powder and mix it in a big zip lock freezer bag. This is where you’ll coat those wings! I usually dump my wings in the bag and shake the fuck out of it until all the wings are coated.
Now for the marinade. Empty the bottle of Korean Sauce into a mixing bowl.
The measurements I listed above are pure estimates, I suggest adding in small amounts until you come to a flavor you like.
Then add in the following: Red crushed peppers, red cayenne pepper, chili powder, sesame oil, sesame seeds, brown sugar, chopped green onions and the cloves of garlic. Make sure you crush the garlic before you add it to the mix. It should look something like this.
Now time to fry those wings until their golden brown!
Once you fry ’em, then you toss them into the marinade!
The marinade should be good to coat roughly 40 wings! Now go out there and have some fun!
Here’s the final result!